Buying Guide for HP Desktop PCs With 4th-generation Intel Processors
The Hewlett-Packard Co. has made a number of desktop PC models that are equipped with Intels fourth-generation Core chips that can serve as a second home PC or an additional workstation in the office. These desktop PCs come with a number of features including an Intel Core i7 processor.What are the features of Intels fourth-generation Core processors?
Intels fourth generation processors were released in 2013 with the code name "Haswell." This generation of Core processors came in three variants. They were designed to fit motherboard sockets that included LGA 1150, BGA 1364, Socket G3, and BGA 1168. Some of the features of the Haswell Core i7 processor include:
- Four physical cores with hyperthreading
- Clock speeds between 2 and 4 GHz
- Equipped with 64 KB L1 chase, 256 KB L2 cache, and 2-40 MB L3 cache
- Support for up to 1.6 GHz DDR3 RAM
Desktop PCs, including those made by HP, have a variety of different features depending on what role they are designed to serve, but there are a few basics to consider:
- System RAM: The amount of RAM a desktop computer has impacts its ability to multitask and handle demanding software like games and office apps.
- Type of drive: A traditional hard disk drive (HDD) can provide large amounts of storage space while a solid-state drive (SSD) has no moving parts, boots up much faster, and can improve performance significantly.
- Central processing unit (CPU): The specific processor that a desktop has determines its overall performance. Check a CPUs benchmark scores to compare it to another CPU. Dont assume the processor with a faster clock speed is better.
- Graphics processing unit (GPU): A systems graphics card determines how advanced and detailed its graphics and animation capabilities will be. This matters most if you want a gaming PC or to edit home videos.
HP has made a number of different desktop computer models that used the i7 processors that were designed for home users and business operations. Some of the possible selections that are available include:
- HP EliteDesk office PCs
- HP ProDesk office PCs
- HP Envy desktop PCs
- HP Slimline desktop PCs
- HP Pavilion all-in-one PCs