A Guide to Home HVAC Air Filters
Home air filters provide a method of cleaning the air and removing potentially irritating particles like dust, pollen, dander, and dirt. They also help protect HVAC systems by keeping the particles from moving into the systems and building up. Check out the large selection of inexpensive home HVAC air filters on eBay.What household devices use HVAC filters?
You can find lots of reasonably priced home HVAC filters to refresh a range of household systems, such as air purifiers, dehumidifiers, home exhaust fans, air conditioners, and attic ventilation systems. These filters are available as single and bulk HVAC filter packages from brands like GeneralAire, Honeywell, and White-Rodgers.How often should filters be changed?
To decide how many home HVAC filters you should buy, it helps to keep in mind how often a typical HVAC filter should be changed:
- Single occupant or vacation homes: The filter should be changed at least every six months.
- Families with no pets: The air filter should be changed every three months.
- Families with pets: The filter should be changed every two months to cut down on dander levels in the air.
- Single occupant or families with a smoker: The air filter should be changed monthly.
- Single occupant or family with allergies: The filter should be changed monthly.
- Fiberglass filter: These are disposable and made of spun glass. They generally last around 30 days.
- Polyester and pleated filter: These are disposable and made of wire-backed synthetic materials that allow fewer pieces of debris to pass through the system and back to the indoor air.
- High-efficiency particulate arrestance (HEPA) filter: These are disposable and made of randomly applied fibers. They are recommended for use in homes where people have allergies to dust or pollen.
- Washable air filter: These are made of electrostatic materials designed to be washable and are a permanent option for an air conditioner or furnace.
The minimum efficiency reporting value (MERV) rating is an industry rating system that allows the consumer to know how effective an air filter is at removing allergens from indoor air. The higher the rating, the denser the filter and the higher the level of filtration.What size air filter is needed for furnace filter replacements?
Furnace filters vary in size depending on depth, length, and width. When purchasing a replacement, knowing the existing dimensions is important. Find the filter and look for numbers in the length x width x depth format, such as 16 x 20 x 1.How does a home air filter work?
Home air filters provide a filtration system designed to increase the quality of air that people breathe. In the home, where there are people with allergies, the filter removes allergens that can lead to asthma attacks. Another purpose of a home air filter is to protect the home heating and air conditioning systems. In cold climates, furnace filters clean the air returning to the furnace system and help preserve the system. They trap debris and hold it instead of letting the dust, pollen, and particles float in the air or process through the heat and air systems.