Rainbow Brite Dolls
Rainbow Brite was a cartoon show in the 1980s with the main character known for her sunny disposition, helpful friends, a signature star on her cheek, and brightly colored outfits. This character is commemorated with vintage Rainbow Brite dolls along with pet sprites and other merchandise and stuffed animals.What Rainbow Brites were released from the original series?
In the mid to late 1980s, Mattel released a large line of Rainbow Brite toys, plush, and dolls. The Rainbow Brite line included three large dolls, five medium dolls known as Emotions that were 15 inches tall, 12 small dolls that were 10 inches tall, nine animals, and 50 sprites. Mattel also released several Rainbow Brite plush horses, puppies, and a Rainbow Brite carrying case that also serves as the Color Cottage. Plastic furniture and a pillow and bed set for the cottage were also available for purchase. The smaller Rainbow doll collection by Mattel includes these characters along with their sprites.
- Rainbow Brite
- Canary Yellow
- Buddy Blue
- Patty OGreen
- Red Butler
- Tickled Pink
- Lala Orange
- Shy Violet
In addition to the first generation, other waves of Rainbow Brite Merchandise included
- Second Generation by Up, Up, and Away between 1996-1997
- Third Generation by Hot Topic and Toy Play between 2003-2005
- Fourth Generation by Playmates Toys between 2009-2010
- Fifth Generation by Hallmark Toys between 2015-2016
Since Rainbow Brite plush, dolls, and other merchandise are vintage items, extra care should be given when cleaning and storing them.
- In the original box: If your dolls or other items are in the original box, leave them in their unopened packages. Store the box in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight.
- Out of box: If your doll or toy is out of the box but is for the purposes of collecting, store it in an airtight plastic bag away from any moisture or direct sunlight.
- Play: If you Rainbow Brite plush, toy, or doll is simply for the purpose of play, take care not to get it dirty or wet whenever possible.
- To clean: Do not place your Rainbow Brite toys or dolls in the washing machine as this can cause their materials to come apart, stitching to come loose, and their colors to fade. Use a soft warm cloth with plain water or water and a mild cleanser if your plush or doll becomes dirty. Do not rub vigorously since this can also ruin the delicate materials.
- Drying: If your Rainbow Brite doll becomes wet, it is recommended that you let it air dry whenever possible. If you must use a dryer, it can be done for several minutes on a low heat setting.