Get Ready to Binge Your Favorite Show: Connecting A Cable Box
You can get a number of local channels with the connection of an antenna. However, if you are having trouble viewing your favorite show, it is probably because you require a cable connection. This would require the acquisition of a cable box.
Before making a purchase, it is important that you understand the importance and use of a cable box.
What does my Scientific Atlanta cable box do for me?
Your cable box converts digital signals into formats that will show on your TV. There are several reasons why you should use it. Lets look at some of them.
- Digital viewing - Most, if not all cable companies have moved to a digital platform. This means that your Scientific Atlanta TV will no longer display hazy or unclear pictures. You can either view signals or none at all. With your digital cable box, you will be able to view your music videos on a clear platform.
- Scrambled - Some cable companies tend to scramble viewing for purposes of implementing copy-protection. This means that you need a cable box and perhaps a paid-for subscription. In time, as the transition from analog to digital spreads, you may need to upgrade your TV box from analog to a more advanced set like 4K ultra or HD.
Which cables can I use to connect my cable box?
You need three cords for your device to work. These are:
- Video - This is used to connect the box to your HDTV
- Coaxial - This connects your box with your wall outlet.
- Power - The adapter is used for your Scientific Atlanta. Note however that some digital boxes come with a power adapter and not the cable.
What types of connections can I use for my HDTV?
The type of cables to make your cable TV work greatly depend on the make of set-top box you go for, and the input ports available on your television set. To know which ones your TV accepts, check its rear end. There are several options that you will find. These are:
- HDMI - This is one of the most convenient and easiest connectors as it combines both digital video and multi-channel audio into one cable.
- Component - This connection uses three color-coded cables in blue, green, and red for quality. This method is still analog and requires numerous conversions to digital formats. This, in turn, leads to a decrease in the quality of your pictures.
- Composite - this format carries an analog video transmission and encodes the transmission on one channel.
A Scientific Atlanta box, for instance, uses HDMI and features a USB port for connection.
Content provided for informational purposes only. eBay is not affiliated with or endorsed by Scientific Atlanta.